- DO get regular trims. Keeping split ends at bay will make your locks look their thickest and healthiest.
- DO ask for subtle layers. No matter if your hair is thin, wavy, or curly, a layered cut is a fantastic way to fake dimension.
- DO experiment with bangs, which could give the illusion of more hair.
- DO try a zigzag part for some extra oomph at the roots.
- DON’T have hair that’s all one length.
- DON’T rule out a chic pixie cut.
- DON’T get hair extensions. It might be tempting, but the procedure can lead to increased hair thinning due to the pull from the extensions.
- DO experiment with colour and highlights. Colour will expand the shaft and make it thicker.
- DO opt for highlights or lowlights around the face to give the hair some dimension and warm up your overall look.
- DO add gold tones if you’re a brunette or a redhead; it will instantly warm the face.
- DO stay away from ombré tones. The dark hair on top and light tips on the bottom will accentuate any thinning around the crown.
- DO feel free to use Women’s ROGAINE® Foam if you have colour treated hair, just DON’T apply within 24 hours of getting your hair coloured.
- DON’T go too dark if you’re trying out hair colour. Going too dark can emphasize the contrast between the scalp and the hair if your skin is lighter than your hair.
- DON’T go crazy with the bleach, however. A white blonde (if it isn’t your natural colour) can easily be too harsh and cause hair to become dry and brittle.
‡Exception include Quebec, where it is available behind-the-counter from the pharmacist and without a prescription.